Play therapy is a method used to help children develop motor and social skills, increase creativity, and even overcome trauma or stress.
But did you know it’s beneficial for adults, too? Adult coloring books, crafting, playing with children, and playing games are all great examples of ways adults can engage in play therapy. Your first impression of the term may have been “Well, that sounds silly for adults!”, but we implore you to see beyond the term itself.
We all know that doing things you enjoy is an important part of your overall well-being. Whether it’s crafting, playing sports, gardening, etc., it is commonly known that investing time in a hobby is also investing in your health. Why not do so intentionally and call it “play therapy”? There are major benefits for adults who practice this fun type of therapy, so let’s look at some of them below.
3 Benefits of Engaging in Play Therapy
- It keeps your mind sharp by increasing grey matter
- It decreases anxiety and depression
- It resets one’s focus after a long day, week, etc.
There are so many activities that could count toward “play therapy” time, but it’s important to be mindful about what you’re doing and how you do it. You should feel relaxed—even energized—by play therapy. If it becomes stressful, evaluate the activity you’ve participated in. What about it is stressful to you? Can you change how you engage in the activity, or should you choose a different activity altogether? Or perhaps there is an underlying fear you must work through. There are lots of ways to be mindful about what you’re doing, so we’ve put together 4 tips for engaging in play therapy.
4 Tips for Engaging in Play Therapy
- Balance the social aspect of play therapy. Meaning, do some activities by yourself and some with other people.
- Balance physical or fast-paced activities with relaxing ones.
- Try new things! One of the most important parts of play is discovery. Don’t get stuck in the same-old-same-old!
- Create a calm environment where you can play stress-free.
One of our favorite things about our office is that it’s interactive. From health education, injury rehabilitation, and allergy tests to stretch machines, wobble chairs, and weights, we’ve got you covered. Health Connection is the perfect place to start healthy habits, grow alongside a team of health professionals, and start feeling your best.
Schedule an appointment to visit us today!