Did you recently have to take an antibiotic? If you have had to recently take an antibiotic, we need to consider your gut health. Did you know that it will take you potentially 4-6 months to restore your microbiome? Some studies suggest it will never be the same! Ask our office for guidance on a post-antibiotic plan. In the meantime, here are 6 ways you can detox after taking an antibiotic:
- Take a probiotic: Look for a probiotic with 20 billion CFU and S. boulardii. Take it during and after antibiotics every day for 4-6 months. Giving your bacteria a crutch will be helpful even though probiotics are transient.
- Eat fermented foods: You can find probiotics in some delicious fermented foods! Sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, kevita, plain kefir, plain yogurt, and even some brands of pickles are all great probiotic options. These probiotics are abundant and essential to everyone, whether you’ve taken an antibiotic or not! Shoot for at least one of these options a day, and ideally, you’ll continue this habit forever!
- Cut sugar, alcohol, and processed foods: Opportunistic organisms can quickly become pathogens and overgrow quickly if the competition has just been wiped out!
- Go outside. Eat from the garden, put your hands in the dirt, and try not to be too clean. We want nutritious foods without chemicals, grown in fresh air and sunlight, and some sample of soil-based organisms to help our ecology.
- Eat lots of organic plants: Make sure to cook with coconut oil and grass-fed butter (unless you’re dairy free). Plants contain probiotics that feed your healthy bacteria. So, getting plants without chemicals that kill bacteria will tip the scales in your favor. Shoot for at least one big salad a day and 2 non-starchy veggies as side dishes. Do this continually throughout your life, but be diligent for at least 2 weeks after taking antibiotics.
- Manage stress: Stress creates chemical changes in your body that isn’t great for gut health and it can cause digestive issues. Yoga, meditation, prayer, or walks can help your gut environment stay healthy!
And there you have it! Antibiotics are not ideal, but we understand that they can be a necessary evil under special circumstances. If you need help detoxing from any medication, contact our office. Our comprehensive wellness program is the perfect way to regain your health so you can get back to doing what you love.